Colonel Faber assumed duties as the Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters – Ohio, on January 1, 2005. As the Chief of Staff, he establishes policies, priorities, and oversight of the federal budget, operations and training, personnel, logistical support operations, and military construction programs for the Ohio Army National Guard consisting of more than 11,000 soldiers and 65 facilities. He also serves as Brigade-level commander with oversight of three colonel commands and two separate field-grade commands.
Colonel Faber began his military career as an enlisted soldier following graduation from high school in 1979, and was commissioned a second lieutenant through Officer Candidate School (OCS) in 1981. He graduated summa cum laude from Capital University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in management and holds a Master of Arts degree in international relations from Salve Regina University. He has also studied international leadership and management at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University; and Astrophysics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Additional assignments include: Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations J-3, Joint Force Headquarters, Ohio, and prior to that, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel J-1. He also served as a U.S. Army War College Fellow in the National Security Program at Harvard University. Prior to his fellowship, he commanded 1st Battalion, 73d Troop Command, Ohio’s First-to-Fight units that were mobilized for Operation Joint Endeavor, the Bosnian Peacekeeping mission. Colonel Faber is a Senior Army Aviator with more than 2000 hours in attack, reconnaissance, and utility aircraft. He has served as an instructor pilot, troop commander, squadron operations and executive officer, and served as Aviation Section Commander, Task-Force Sixteen, Joint Task Force Bravo, USSOUTHCOM during Operation Fuertes Caminos, in the Republic of Honduras.
Colonel Faber is serving in his third term as the NGAUS Secretary.
Capital University – BA Degree (Summa Cum Laude) – Management
Salve Regina University – MA Degree – International Relations
United States Army Command and General Staff College
United States Naval War College Command & Staff
United States Army War College Fellowship – J.F.K. School of Government – Harvard University
1. Mar 79 – May 81, Military Policeman, 838th Military Police Company, Youngstown, Ohio
2. Jun 81 – Aug 84, Platoon Leader, 324th Military Police Company, Youngstown, Ohio
3. Nov 84 – Oct 85, Air Cavalry Troop Team Leader, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Akron, Ohio
4. Nov 85 – Jul 89, Air Cavalry Troop Section Commander, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
5. Aug 89 – Nov 90, S-1 (Personnel), Fourth Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
6. Aug 90 – Dec 90, Assistant S-3 (Operations), Fourth Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
7. Dec 90 – Aug 91, Commander, HHT, Fourth Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
8. Sep 91 – Jan 93, S-3 (Operations), Fourth Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
9. Jan 93 – Aug 94, Executive Officer, Fourth Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry Regiment
10. Aug 94 – Aug 95, Assistant S-3 (Operations), 73d Troop Command (Brigade), Columbus, Ohio
11. Aug 95 – Dec 95, Assistant Chief of Staff, Ohio Army National Guard, Columbus, Ohio
12 Dec 95 – Jul 97, Commander, First Battalion, 73d Troop Command, Columbus, Ohio
13. Jul 97 – Jul 98, National Security Fellow, U.S. Army War College, J.F.K. School of Government,
14. Jul 98 – Jun 04, J-1, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Ohio Army National Guard
15. Jun 04 – Jan 05, J-3, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans, Ohio Army National Guard
16. Jan 05 – Present, Joint Chief of Staff, Ohio Army National Guard
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 Silver Oak Leaf and 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Army Commendation Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Army Achievement Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal with 1 Silver and 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
National Defense Service Medal with 1 Bronze Service Star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Gold Hourglass Device
Army Service Ribbon
Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon
Ohio Distinguished Service Ribbon with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Ohio Commendation Medal
Ohio Faithful Service Ribbon with 1 Silver Oak Leaf Cluster
Ohio Special Service Ribbon with Numeral 5
Ohio Basic Training Ribbon
Ohio Recruiting Achievement Ribbon with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Senior Army Aviator Badge
Air Assault Badge
Army Physical Fitness Badge
United States Armor Association, Distinguished Knight, Order of St. George
Ohio National Guard Association, Distinguished Service Award, 2-Term Past President
National Guard Association of the United States, Meritorious Service Award
National Guard Bureau, Eagle Award
Member, Board of Directors, National Guard Association of the United States, Washington, D.C.
Member, Board of Directors, National Guard Education Foundation, Washington, D.C.
Member, Board of Directors, National Guard Insurance Trust, Washington, D.C.
Member, National Guard Diversity Steering Committee, Washington, D.C.
Chairperson, National Military Personnel Advisory Committee, Washington, D.C.
Member, National Guard Professional Education Center Advisory Board, Little Rock, AR
Chairperson, National Chief of Staff Advisory Committee, Washington, D.C.
State of Michigan, Legion of Merit
State of Wisconsin, Meritorious Service Medal
State of Pennsylvania, Meritorious Service Medal
State of Nevada, Medal of Merit
State of Mississippi, The Mississippi Magnolia Medal (with Oak Leaf Cluster)
State of Iowa, Meritorious Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS:
2LT, ARNG 28 Jun 81
1LT, ARNG 27 Jul 84
CPT, ARNG, 20 Nov 86
MAJ, ARNG, 26 Sep 91
LTC, ARNG, 20 Dec 95
COL, ARNG, 29 Apr 99